Saturday, June 11, 2011

OSL

Written May 5th,

Over these past few days there has been much discussion over the capture of Osama Bin Laden. Issues ranging from who should get the credit for his capture, whether or not a photo should be released, the reaction to his killing, to should the president have visited ground zero has dominated discussion in the media and elsewhere.

My first word to my wife as the news came on Sunday night was “he got him” and I meant it exactly as I said it. I didn’t jump but I was happy. Yes I was happy that it occurred on this president’s watch.

Do I give the President the credit? Absolutely and I give it publicly. I am not naïve when it comes to the character of the nation and its politics. If this mission had failed as it did in 1980 under Jimmy Carter no one would call the military incompetent but President Obama would have been called everything under the sun except a child of God. I give him credit for his gracious invitation to former President George Bush who declined and former mayor and potential presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani who of course said yes. To those who say he politicized it. He would have been called insensitive if he didn’t go.

As far as the photos go. I think if a mans wife says her husband is dead, if the organization he represents says he is dead. To say we need more proof is tantamount to calling those Navy Seals who we celebrate liars. The releasing of a picture would be tantamount to gratuitous bragging and that would be offensive. While political pressure may change this decision, I think for now it’s the prudent decision.

When looked at the videos of people outside the White House and other places there were clearly people shouting for joy but I also saw people young hugging each other, crying, I understand youthful exuberance. I did not expect people in ball parks to have a massive impromptu prayer meeting nor do I expect church pews to be filled this Sunday because of this action. I don’t want to condemn our young people many of whom were 10 years old when this happened and they have been raised against the backdrop of terrorism. I think public denunciation of many of these young counterproductive as it is by and large young people who defend this nation. The average enlistment age in 2009 was 21. While many people might have been offended at the response. Before we get on our “this is how Christians should act high horse” I remember a Lutheran minister being suspended because he stood with other people of faith in Yankee Stadium. I remember Bishop Boumans last service as bishop and religious leaders from different denominations not taking communion because after all we are flawed. I am aware of how in ecumenical talks Lutherans have been told that we are not Christian. There are still denominations which will not allow women to preach the gospel.
Did the young folks offend me not really? I have bigger things to be offended about.
.
• It offended me that Dr. Condoleezza Rice the first African American secretary of state could not publicly acknowledge the first African American president in his statement about the capture for his role.
• It offended me that this week the republican party passed legislation stripping power away from newly passed consumer protection laws
• It offended me that this week this same party voted to ease newly signed regulations on financial institutions
• It offends me that across the nation the republicans are working to limit voting access which will mainly affect minorities
• It offends me the republican party is attacking the rights of women
• It offends me that the Bush/Cheney crowd wants to take some credit in order to legitimize and defend their use of torture.
• It offends me that collective bargaining has been attacked
• It offends me that a man like Governor Bobby Jindal a man of Indian descent would sign a birther bill
• It offended me when a Republican Tea Party California woman sent an email showing the president in an racially offensive manner and then claiming no understanding of why it was offensive
• It offended me when a woman on The Chris Matthews show last night persisted in attacking Muslims
• It offended me when Peter King held his witch hunt hearings on Muslims
• It offended me when republicans are trying to pit one group of Americans against another by ending the social safety net of this nation
• It offends me when black conservatives like Michael Steele, Amy Holmes and Ron Christie can’t call out racism even when its overt and apparent because of their fear of losing their treasured perch within
• It offends me when the Arizona teacher says that Hispanic students don’t want to be educated

The killing of Osama Bin Laden will not soften our politics; it will not cure the insanity of Fox News or Rush Limbaugh nor bring a Glenn Beck back from mental incompetence. It will not end racism. It will not end economic inequality Although they are moving from some of their proposals it will probably not make the Republicans back away from some morally repugnant actions and I’m not sure it will give Democrats any more backbone. What this action though joyous has done is to further display the divides in our nation. America has proven its resolve many times. Sunday night was one of those times. It has proven its capacity to tackle huge challenges. Its citizens have stood up to those who would deny equal rights, it has stood up to those who have tried to deny a safety net for its people. Now its time to stand up again to those who under the guise of protecting American would destroy hard earned rights.
Not to do so would be offensive

No comments:

Post a Comment